Elections 2014:My first experience.

I woke up quite early. I had my bath, followed by my breakfast and finally got ready to cast my vote. Being a first timer, it was such a naïve feeling in my mind and body. Every human-act has a first time and casting the vote is certainly one of them.

The time was merely 7:30 A.M. As I reached the polling station, I saw an array of people standing in numerous queues, which didn't possibly seem to start or end anywhere. I felt as if I had arrived for some ethnic food festival and people were gathering up to taste some of the free food being offered to them, along with me. There were quite a number of queues, each for people from different areas of dwelling. I positioned myself in my respective queue and my mom in the ladies’ queue, which was separately allocated for them. Most of the persons in my queue were proudly boasting that this was the highest turnout in Guwahati. Such was the crazy election-fever!  As I stood there, the mighty Sun decided to power up. The heat accompanied too. With the scorching heat and the Sun making it difficult to even keep standing patiently, I made myself busy by scanning the area, for the beauties of nature. Many cute and beautiful girls, accompanied by their strict parents, came and went during this entire time. There was a smile in each of their bright faces while coming out of the voting room, which increased their charming factor to almost infinity. They were probably first timers, like me. Though my eyes noticed each and every one of them, none of them paid heed to my pity, lonely existence. Such was the sad irony. Without breaking my sheer confidence and self-esteem, I still stood there, like a true warrior with my head held high. Almost an hour had gone by and my queue appeared as if it was freezed in time. I pondered upon the time taken by the people for casting their vote. I mean, it is not a surprise exam where you have to perform illogical permutations and combinations to select one of the many confusing MCQs. You just have to go there and press the button beside party symbol whom you want to see in power. After standing in the queue for almost an hour and a half, and absorbing enough sunlight to produce vitamin-D in my body for an entire lifetime, my chance of casting the vote finally came. After jotting down my signature and the applied indelible ink, which appeared like a poison mark, the moment finally arrived where I had to press the button in the EVM. It made a beep sound, which sounded as if I had committed an error. I looked around hoping somebody would shout at me for having destroyed the EVM. Fortunately for me, the beep is heard every time a voter casts a vote. With that, I came out of the lifeless room. I felt as if I was a VIP, who made an important vote, which would finally decide India’s fate. Literally, everyone should feel like that. Every vote is important. So are you. Till then, be happy. Respect women. Respect all. Happy reading.


p.s: By the way, I trusted my self-conscience and was happy to believe in the lotus flower. Thank you, again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts