Being Political: The Indian Student

The other day, as I read through a weekly journal, I came across a vastly indigenous headline: 'The Role of an Indian youth in Politics’. Needless to say, I was immensely surprised at the intensity of motivation the article generated inside me, given that I was never attracted to that field. Politics, as we all assume to be the world of petty criminals, is actually much more than what we really see. So, what exactly is the role of youths, in the modern day game of politics? Should we get inclined to the world of politics in any possible way? Or should we just keep our focus on the books, which have been our get-along buddy ever since we have learned how to spell an apple?


As my mind wandered around, recollecting those faint and distant memories about politics, which I had learned in ‘The Democratic Politics’ in the ninth and tenth grade, I realized that I actually don’t have a clue about the goddamn political world. Needless to say, there is enough laziness involved within me to wander off my introvert mind. So, what exactly is Politics? It’s not just casting a vote. It’s not just choosing a ruler. It’s not just about a man wearing a white dhoti and kurta. It’s not just about shouting at the top of your voice at the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha houses. It’s not just about being an IIT-ian or a tea-seller, suddenly turning into a powerful leader. It’s not just about someone assuring you of empowering the women and youth of our country. It’s much, much more than that. The other day, as part of a presentation, when I presented a topic faintly related to politics, I was treated with harsh words and humiliated for bringing up a political topic, in unfavorable territory. If being a student, residing in the largest democracy in the world, I am not allowed to even breathe or smell a part of politics, I don’t suppose the political scenario of the country would change. It’s not that I am asking you to jump into politics. I am just advising you to be aware of the scenario. The problem with India is that most of the people just don’t care about the ongoing situations in the political world. How many students would care about politics? And why would anyone? I mean, how many 'I want to be a politician' would you hear as a reply from a student to a query from the teacher about 'What is your aim in life?'. It would sound unrealistic and unreasonable. But, then the country is in need of young minds. And it is only good if the political world does a massive change within it to develop our beautiful and wonderful country. And to protect the people and respect them, especially women. But then, it would take a massive revolution to bring about such a change. Till then, be happy. Respect. Jai Hind.


  

Comments

Popular Posts