Is celebrating Friendship Day justified?

Who is actually a friend?

A person who knows you more than you, yourself. A person, who in more than a million reasons makes your life a worthwhile time on this earth. I may sound a bit cheesy but do think about it.
And there is definitely more than one person in our lives who would carefully fit in the description I gave about a friend. Think about all those memorable times you have spent with your friends. Think about all those talks and discussions, you have had with them, which otherwise would have never come out of your stomach. Think about the friends who were your first sex education teachers, without which you would have never come across Miss Ocean or Miss Kross! Think about how you described your first crush and the manner in which you got bewitched by her beauty to your friends! Think about any moment with your friends and you would actually start smiling or laughing in your mind. Or your eyes would be filled with tears, if by any chance you bring back those memories about your last day in your school. Think about all those twirling nicknames you called each others with. Whew!! But is celebrating Friendship Day on a single day justified? Is the first Sunday of August every year needs to be celebrated for those special moments with your friends?



What I believe is that there is no harm in celebrating a certain “Friendship Day” on a certain day in August every year. Many people brag about the fact that celebrating just a single day for the friends in our lives is not in good taste. That they deserve more than just a single day. I have read blogs across the web where “Friendship Day” is being criticized for various reasons which I wouldn’t like to bring about in my blog. Most of them have cited the fact that remembering our friends for just a single day is like a crime, and the practice of celebrating this day needs to be stopped. But let me tell you something. Just have a look at a calendar. Have you noticed the number of holidays we have in a single year? Durga Puja, Saraswati Puja, Ganesh Chaturthi, Lakshmi Puja, Viswakarma Puja, Christmas, Eid etc. We all respect our Gods and it is not that we pray to them only on those certain days of the year which is dedicated to them. Similarly, it’s not that by dedicating just a single day in a year, for our friends, would reduce our love and affection towards them. No doubt, each and every day is special for our friends. But, by celebrating a certain day, we just remember all those special moments we spent with those special persons. Being in the third year in my engineering college, I do very much value my friends as there remain only two years of my engineering life. So, I would really like these remaining two years to be the most memorable time of my life with all my friends. And wishing you once again, a very Happy belated Friendship Day.


Indeed! Happy Friendship Day!!    

     

Comments

  1. I don't know about others but everyday is friendship day for me... And for the 1st Sunday of august is just a cherry on the top of cake...
    Cheers to friendship!!
    Good health..!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts