2014 Mechanical Freshers' Day at the Royal Group of Institutions

So, it was 20th of August and it was the day when the mechanical department was organizing the Freshers' Day. Unlike the previous session, this time the Freshers' Day was being organized by the individual departments simultaneously on different days. Therein, the excitement level in our department was a bit low due to an obvious reason: ours was the mechanical department and the sex ratio was very horribly imbalanced.
If you take an average count, you would find just one girl out of 60 boys. On such a matter, the driving force required for me to perform on-stage was very negligible. On the contrary, I played the keyboard last time, when the Freshers’ Day was being organized for all the branches unlike this time around. With the motivation level so low, I couldn’t have given my 100% and so I opted out from playing the keyboard, and sadly my friends had to perform without a keyboardist for their performance.




The time arrived. As regular classes were held before the event, students clad in their college uniform started to gather in D’Royal auditorio. Apart from them, a few of the participants and event-hosts were dressed in traditional and college-attires too. Slowly, the hall was filled with mechanical department freshers, seniors and my batch-mates. Contrary to my popular belief, quite a number of girls too filled the hall, probably from other departments. A few of them were considered amongst the most beautiful ones of the institution. Obviously, my heart melted instantaneously and wanted to reach out to all of them, but sadly they wouldn’t have enjoyed the sight of me, winking at them. And until the programs started, a number of students from other departments too, joined the course. Seeing all the cute and beautiful girls, I felt as if a sharp thorn had just pierced through my heart. I could have made my otherwise-negligible presence felt by performing on-stage, which I turned down earlier. It was certainly one of the worst decisions of my life. Notwithstanding the presence of the charming beings, the event finally started off with the welcoming speech by the HoD and the principle of our college. After a song performance by one of my classmates, the best fresher competition started off, with a solitary girl contestant. And if you are still wondering, why it was a “best fresher” competition and not a “Mr. and Miss Fresher” competition, it is due to my earlier explanation of the sex ratio imbalance of our department! A few songs and dances later, two of the seniors conducted a game, where 5 couples were chosen randomly, and the girl had to dress the boy with a saree. That was probably the most entertaining part of the event, to say the least. Finally, after a couple of performances later, it was time for the “packet-lunch”, or rather, “packet-disappointment” as it neither filled my stomach nor stimulated my hunger cells with enjoyment. Citing from an overall viewpoint, the Freshers’ Day exceeded my expectation level as the performances were eye-catching and also due to the presence of a few cute, beautiful angels, even though many of my friends were left disappointed. But, being a mechanical student, and being a part of the event, which welcomed the newcomers, it obviously felt good and I enjoyed it on a personal account but left me with an unanswered, mystical question: How did so many girls turn up on the mechanical Freshers’ Day?       

Comments

Popular Posts