FIFA World Cup 2014: Of victories, memories and Lionel Messi


 Before proceeding to read this post, I would like to ask you a simple question: What have you learned from the recently concluded FIFA World Cup 2014? Is it that you have learned the names of some new hearth-throbs of football? Or learned some new terms? Or learned how to remain awaken throughout the night?



The real thing which you need to learn is that the FIFA World Cup is not a one-man showpiece. And to win it, you need to have one single team, a united team. And not a team relying on a single superstar. See, Portugal had Ronaldo. Brazil had Neymar. Argentina had Messi. And none of these teams won the Cup. Remember what happened to Brazil once Neymar got injured and was absent from the team? And even though, you may argue that Argentina had actually reached the final. But luck was certainly on their side, especially in the semi-final against the Netherlands, when they just won by a penalty shoot-out. Sadly, I wanted a Germany-Netherlands finale.


Now, this World Cup would also be remembered for all those sleepless nights you had spent watching non-stop football. Too sad that you have to miss those memorable sleepless nights; that you have to miss watching those remarkable goals scored during the entire tournament and also, miss the sight of those beautiful girls, cheering amongst the crowd. Sigh! Another four years till another World Cup. The one thing that I would certainly remember and which made my nerves send irreplaceable signals throughout my body was the goal scored by none other than Robin Van Persie, the ‘Flying Dutchman’ against the Spanish side. Never in my life had I seen a header as attractive as that. The video of that beautiful goal still plays in my head.

But did the final match between Germany and Argentina live up to its great expectations? Well, it didn’t turn out to be a goal fest but surely it can be termed as an exciting match. But honestly, I didn’t find it thrilling as well as entertaining. The dullness assured that I was made to sleep half way through the match. I expected at least thrice as more chances to have been created by both the teams. I wouldn’t blame the players either, as a final obviously would make the players feel the pressure of their countrymen. Only after the final whistle blew, my brother woke me up to announce the result to me, to which I wasn’t surprised at all. Who would have bet against Germany not winning against Argentina? At least, not in this World Cup. But what really saddened me was the people’s reaction in the social media.  Everybody was cursing Messi, blaming him for the loss as he didn’t live up to his expectations; as he didn’t play like he plays for his club Barcelona; as he didn’t score as many goals as expected; as he didn’t win the FIFA World Cup for his country. To all those, who have been criticizing him, let me assure you that even though I am neither a Messi fan nor Argentina, I have immense respect for him as a footballer. As I had already stated, a single man, not even ‘the Great Messi’ can win the greatest showpiece event all by himself, unless he commits a ‘Hand of God’. His artistic creativities with the football and those marvelous goals for his club are enough for me to admire him and put him higher than even my favourite player, Cristiano Ronaldo. Undoubtedly the best player in the world, luck didn’t favour him at all. Though I am a great admirer and die-hard fan of Cristiano Ronaldo, I will always have a lot of respect for Messi as well, as he has been carrying the hopes of a nation single-handedly. He may never win a World Cup, but he will surely remain in my memory as “The Greatest Footballer” I have ever witnessed. And I do really want Messi to be the hero of all the Argentines. To all the criticizers and Mr. ‘Hand of God’, please do me a favour: Rest in Peace.   

Comments

  1. U can boo him or U can cheer him, but the fact remains that Messi is the greatest of our generation. I feel proud to be living in the Messi era.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts