Being an Athlete:The Great North-Eastern Run!

Waking up in the morning has always been a cool part, though it takes quite a struggle to overcome the lust for the blanket in winters. Sleeping is love but when it comes to getting off the bed for a hardcore jogging session, it is totally worth it. Plus, all the benefits it has on the health adds to the list of many other things which propels the energy level during the mornings. So, when I got a chance to take part in the Great North-Eastern Run 2016, I was elated as it was my first experience in a marathon, officially.


Unlike every other mornings, I had to wake up an hour earlier because the run was scheduled at 6 am. The cold couldn't deter my excitement for the run, for which I was eagerly awaiting for quite some time. On our way we encountered the participants of the 21 km and 10 km category which swelled up our motivation level even higher. Along with my friends. we finally reached the venue. As we reached, we saw a huge gathering of marathon enthusiasts. Apparently, this was the biggest crowd I had encountered for quite some time. There were girls. Yes, girls! Few of the girls were looking extremely gorgeous in their jogging attire while others were dazzling over their pretty self while posing for selfies. There were men of course, but for my eyes, they were wrapped under invisibility cloaks! Looking at all the girls getting ready and warming up for the big run made my enthusiasm level go up tenfold. An announcement was made which informed us to be ready for the 5 km run, for which we had registered. It was the easiest of the three categories but the way I was warming up, it seemed as if I was about to run a full marathon! As everyone was gearing up, I was preparing myself to win the race and take home the cash award. The race began and the  crowd rush was as big as  the Kumbh Mela. I began my jog in a slow pace as I had to cover an entire 5 km without a single halt. A big crowd of over exuberant people had already begun the run ahead of us with huge and hysterical roars and were in a more advanced position than me. A few minutes into the run, I increased my pace and was outrunning almost everybody in front of me. As I ran past elegant girls, my heart skipped a beat or two but the extreme hunger of a podium finish diminished all these matters of benevolence. I was virtually laughing my mind out to all those who were cheerfully running ahead of me as I was leaving them behind. The only 8-10 guys ahead of me were actual professional runners. I could have never caught them up, so I maintained a steady pace and followed them. At one point, there was a bunch of volunteers, with refreshments and water. As I was barely tired, I didn't even glance at them and strode past them like a boss. Observing my run, Usain Bolt would have been proud of me. I ran and ran! And boy, I ran. I imagined myself as Forrest Gump at one point and continued my infinite run until I realized I didn't have the knowledge about the point from which we had to return back. That was the moment I was left bemused. Along the G.S Road, there's a point known as the Supermarket Bus stoppage. As I neared that point, I met a few of the runners who were in their return journey towards the starting point. They were fuming the fact that by mistake we had run some extra kilometres. We had skipped the return point unknowingly as there were no apparent signboards citing the same, thanks to the amazing organizers!


Without wasting a single second, I turned and began my return journey. I ran as fast as I could but to no avail. On the way back, I encountered fellow runners as well. By now, the sun came up and the heat began to be ingested in my body. People standing by the side of the road were cheering us up! I felt like a superstar. As I neared the end line, I saw a few photographers clicking our sweaty frames. After I crossed it, I acted as if I was about to receive the Olympic Gold medal. I was confused as to why not a single person, let alone reporters and photographers came to interview me. It was just then I realized that the ones vying for the coveted podium finish had already embraced the finishing point minutes ago. I hid my disappointment but after receiving the refreshments and the finisher medal, euphoria had a rebirth within me.


Two extremely elegant girls were present at the venue, distributing Red Bull energy drinks to the runners. As per rule, only participants were allowed the drinks. Being a proud one, I neared them and put forward my hand like a hungry goat, as if I was asking her hand for marriage. Within a second, a swarm of desperate people crowded near me, pushing and stepping over me like brainless politicians. The next thing I remember: the stock of limited supply of Red Bulls were over and the two girls were seen smiling as an obvious sign of helpless pity!

My first experience in a marathon wasn't fruitful thanks to the extraordinary amateur skills of the organizers. As for future endeavours in marathon runs, I want a podium finish, a more disciplined organizing committee, a self-restraining attitude within me and definitely a Red Bull! I will be ready!  

Comments

Popular Posts