Great Indian Weddings: My Experience!

Indian weddings are a great place to visit to. If you are ever bored in your house, trust me, an evening amidst all the people is enough to change your life in a significant manner.


Weddings have long fascinated me. Relatives, friends, neighbours and people whom you haven’t met for centuries of years, throng the special evening to celebrate the union of two families. I have always had a phobia of visiting places filled with unusual Homo sapiens. Call it my poor innate habit or my horrible social skills but it actually gives me the chills to spend time in such an environment. Food has always been one of those things that fascinated me. If marriages didn’t have the strict customary tradition to serve mouth savory food, even the presence of gorgeous ladies wouldn’t have been enough to drag me to these cordial gatherings. Nothing much can be said about anything else. Less even the frenzied cameramen!


The recent practice of serving starters has upped the game for foodies like me. Now there is more than one reason to look forward to in a marriage. You feel like a futile king for some time until the arrival of the mysterious person, who shows up to convince you like a stubborn kid to move to the place of dining as if the supper wouldn’t start without us. And if you do not oblige with him in the first instance, he would extend his invitation like a billion more times until you finally surrender your already burnt soul.         
      
And because I am presently unemployed, for reasons unknown to humanity and beyond, people have been taking some unnaturally keen pleasure in enquiring about the status of my life ambitions from either me or my mom. Taking cue to my idle state, I almost hoped they would name me in their equally rambling will as a sign of mutual remorse. Sigh to my brazen expectations! Old family friends also pose a few other bigger problems when they fail to determine whether I am the younger son or the older one. My inflated younger brother’s relatively larger body size doesn’t help either. What a life!

The buffet system in Indian marriages has many loopholes. No offense but the long list of people standing in queues just to get a glimpse of the overly loaded list of food items for the grand evening resembles hungry prisoners inside Tihar jail. People take everything; each and every available item present there. The only sad part was that a large portion of these went away to the waste bins along with the plates. Guests came in and guests went out but the food went away forever. Sigh again!


One of the best things to look up for in a marriage is the large number of girls, dressed in their finest traditional attire, obviously. These alluring sights make me go weak on my knees. I know India is a very beautiful country but this fact gets a serious tap when I visit marriages. Probably it is the only reason why I don’t reject my mom’s invitation to accompany her to marriages. And because I look so ghastly, I am non-existent in front of the angels present in the sumptuous ceremony. And because I am a legendary observer, let me enlighten you with some irresistible details. While I am around, girls gaze over the delicious food, they look towards my mom, they adore and appreciate my cousin sister, they wave at people within my close range, they sport surprising smiles towards their friends as if they were not supposed to be there, they walk past my invisible body, they roam near my poor soul and they even look right through me, to some random person they probably even don’t know and who poses as an irony to my existence. But one thing that won’t do even once is move their luxurious pupils towards me. This is a bigger dilemma than deciding to eat the fried chicken leg pieces with your darling hands. I am that puny human being who has considerable theoretical philosophies but on the grounds of practical application, enlightenment is even worse than negative. With the opulent food in my plate now begging me to gobble them up quickly before it completely goes cold and loses its precious aroma, restored my faith in human-food relationships!

Speaking of relationships, I almost forgot to mention about the ever-smiling bride and the groom, seated in king-sized thrones on a stage, with lights glaring at them and DSLRs pointing towards them, while uncomfortably accepting gifts from guests, whom they don't even recall meeting before that evening! Phew, big time!


So, after the customary greetings and goodbyes, the evening came to an end for me. I had to come back home with my head held high because I had to keep up my fighting spirit till another marriage comes calling. And until next time, let’s all wish for more marriages to come for in the future for families to unite and reunite.


All hail marriages!

Comments

  1. Very well description of a marriage ceremony. And moreover, gave a inside glimpse too. Well done and wish you a very good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dozy Damn!! Your words and Humor, happily made me so optimistic. Go hail to my marriage streaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the upbeat vibe in the writing Ankit. I just wished to read some more of it...may be a little lengthier next time??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts