The last Saraswati Puja of my engineering life!

With the advent of my engineering life coming to an end, one of the many lasts to be experienced this year was completed as a process. The last Saraswati Puja of my engineering life! Yes, it might sound a bit emotional and downtrodden event but with the type of person residing within my body, nothing of that sort happened. In fact, it turned out to be quite a revealing day for me altogether.


Fresh from the Saraswati Puja last winter, which was by far the most memorable and nostalgic one in my life, I was not very optimistic this time around for obvious reasons. The college campus seemed a little off in the absence of a special and charming personality. But yeah, life has to go on and so does traditional days like these. Clad with bright, attractive traditional wear, the pretty ladies of my college looked quite spectacular. On any day, they would have taken away the most coveted of beauty pageant titles with a big margin. And like all other days, I wasn't noticed by any of them. The cloak of invisibility seems to be my super-hero costume. Life is so predictable! But then again, the smile of unpredictability on my face is another predictable event every given day! No pun intended.

Mother Saraswati is the Goddess of studies. But in no way, the city looks like it is celebrating a day of knowledge. In fact, the streets are filled with colourful sari clad ladies with or without their so-called soul-mates roaming every nook and corner of the city. The fashion sense of some of these wonderful people would leave you spell-bound, both in a positive and negative manner. The beauty quotient of the whole city increases on this very day. As they say, Saraswati Puja has always been the most fashionable day in the city for ages. You suddenly realize that each of these wonder girls can make it to the list of Miss Universe favorites. Well, such is the imaginable anomaly of my life.

But the most revealing thing I witnessed was the way the entrance of a certain all-girls college was lined up. Men, of all age groups, employed and unemployed, married (going their appearance age!) and non-married, bearded and non-bearded, traditionally clad and casually clad, all types of men stood there and fed their eyes on each and every fairy entering and exiting the college premises, which would have estimated to roughly around half a thousand at a time. Or maybe less! Now, maybe, it’s too mainstream for an average man to stand, with their positions intact and fix their gazes on hundreds and hundreds of fairies but it had quite the impact upon me. Never in my life had I experienced such a mass gathering of males of a certain species just for the sake of gorging their eyes upon their opposite sex. At one point, I even started to imagine that girls were an endangered species. Well, maybe I was hibernating and in a way have too much to catch up with life. Either way, it’s not helping me.


Long gone, the positive thing about the whole experience is that I at least have a subject to base upon this blog, for the final Saraswati Puja of my engineering life. I had no photos clicked nor did I even get the glimpse of that special person in my life, who's not even in the city! But I did experience the most annoying traffic jam of Guwahati city. Maybe, it was one way of making it a nostalgic affair for me. And I do hope, this is a long lasting one.   

Comments

Popular Posts