Love during the time of Corona

The birds were chirping their way through the glass panes of the silent hallway. Normally it was filled with footsteps from dawn to the end of dusk. The crowd was part of the daily life. But these weren't normal times. People had confined themselves to secluded places. Public places felt like the abandoned houses from horror movies. The vastness of the empty pathway filled up an array of ghostly surroundings. Every part of the city resembled a ghost town.




"Is it normally so curiously hollow?"
"You mean the silence?"
"Yes, Artee. I obviously meant that."
"You should use simple and traceable words while conversing. Not everyone enjoys Shakespearean."
"Come on now! Individual choices are rather the flavor of the generation. We all have ours."
"Carry a dictionary then. Might provide an easier time to your listeners. Sigh."
"Google can do. On a serious note, can I ask you something?"
"Do you need to be this formal? You always end up asking anyway."
"You are my doctor. So yeah, I should be."
"You are my good friend. So formalities do not suit."
"Please, I want to be good with people at least for the remainder of my short time."
"Ohh come on now. Enough with the self-pity. Ask away."
"Will my condition get better? I mean, is there a chance?"
"Follow the time table. If I am lucky, I might be able to show up with the dictionary next time I am here."
"You know what I meant by that, right? Is there a chance that I live?"
"Before you ask anything else, put your arm on this panel. I need to take two vials of your blood sample."
"Gosh, how much more blood would I need to ooze out of my body? Is it not enough already?"
"Don't do that, Aditya. You know it's part of the procedure. I am not enjoying here injecting needles in your body."
"Cool. Will this hurt?"
"Don't act like it's your first time. Give me your arm."

Artee proceeded to sanitize the needle, before injecting it in Aditya's arm.

"Ouch. You missed the spot."
"Don't make me feel it. Please don't."
"Oooh, so now you feel me, huh?"
"Why are you acting in such a gibberish manner today? Is there anything special today?"
"Tell me one more thing. Will you?"
"So the questions will keep coming?"
"I like your answers. Straight and honest."
"Is the buttering necessary?"
"I need to know."
"I am no God or even an astrologer to predict anything."
"But you do give out logical conclusions to most of my silly questions."
"Ok, ask."
"Will I ever see her again? Is there any chance?"
"Don't get obsessed over a person. It will hurt you more than my needles."
"It's not an obsession. I just feel a part of me somehow associated with another person. I can't help it, doc."
"Aah here comes the philosophical ideologies of a sophisticated mind filled with a bunch of self-emulsification."
"Ok, what was that just now? When did you learn the old Shakespearean way?"
"I had to do my homework, right. And specially when my patient enjoys a great deal of senseless words from the great land of British isles."
"Oh please. Don't bore me like I do to people. Let me have the sole liberty of that."
"Before you gloat, tell me do you really love her?"
"It's not about that. Life is meant to be much more. She fills me with so much positive energy that it makes me feel life in a more lively manner. Words fail me, Artee."
"But you know right, she is with somebody else? She is doing pretty well in her life."
"My idea of love was never meant to be together with the one most important person I revere so much in my heart. Love comes in so many forms. Maybe the human vocabulary hasn't evolved to explain it in a literal sense. It aches but I can never be thankful enough to mother nature for introducing peace to me in her form. She is happiness. She is my motivation. And she indeed does feel home."
"I didn't get a single word. Please do not elaborate further."
"Even the mention of her name rings the bells of solace inside my mind. The cells begin to tangle in a gratified manner and thus sprouts the jovial feelings of Universal peace within me."
"Yuck. Sounds too messy. Science and love do not go hand in hand, for Einstein's sake."
"You are roughly my age. Tell me, haven't you felt anything like this for anyone?"
"No. Absolutely not. I lived my life 5-6 years too late. Studies and my profession hardly allows my heart to ponder anything related to that. Moreover, my heart pumps blood. Nothing more than that."
"You will understand one day. When a fellow human being will enter your life unknowingly and will forever change the way you view life. You will feel complete on that day. You will know what it feels to be home."
"So home is where the heart is, right?"
"Ahh you are getting there. With time, you will complete the sojourn."
"Don't."
"What?"
"Don't dive in with all your heart. It will kill you, I am telling you this."
"That's the beauty of it. Love isn't gentle. It hurts you right where you want it to. I tell you, it's worth it."
"Then why love? Is there nothing else on this planet which might deter your mind towards?"
"Absolutely nothing in this entire Universe. Find it in a person. It enriches the idea of relief within the body. My soul has found peace."
"Completely out of my understanding capacity."
"Don't try to understand it. Feel it. Live it. You will find solace in it."
"Act before you preach, maybe?"
"I need to get out of this sickening bed for the final act. When shall thou proceed?"
"Depends on how you recover. Continue with this routine and you might be able to see the skies one fine day."
"I fear, Artee. I do really fear. Something tells me I won't get to see her again in this life. That fear is tearing me down."
"Suddenly where did all the happiness, solace and pleasure of life vanish so quickly?"
"Within the realms of festive content, there is always that tiny bit of fear creeping within the shallow depths."
"Will you be all right?"
"I need to be. I have to contain myself for this life. Maybe for the next, I will have to prepare again."
"Aditya, I promise you one thing. Do as I say. Continue with this procedure. You are my patient. And more importantly, you are a young man with the heart of a lion. I won't let you down."
"I want to believe you. But I also do really want to meet her one final time, at least. Please."
"I believe in medical sciences. So have a little trust in me. I will make sure you will fulfill that wish."
"I trust you in that. Pass me that notepad. I need to write something to wear off this anxiety."
"Remember when you were introduced to me for the first time? You were a special case. You were my first project. You came in with the worse condition that I have ever encountered. But now, look at you. You are improving. You will live. You hold an important part in my career too. Plus, you have become one of my very delicate friend. I give you my word. I will ensure you get better."
"Approximately how much time do I have?"
"Don't do that. I won't play this game."
"I just want to know the truth. Don't I have the right to know that, at least?"
"I think we should end this session right here. Next Sunday, then. Ok?"
"So I will have only this idle bed for company until you visit me next week? Ohhh God."
"You have a beautiful view through this window at least. Not many enjoy this privilege."
"Haha so funny. I almost fell out of my bed laughing out loud."
"Before I take my leave, do you want to leave a message for her?"
"Why? Do you believe I won't last to meet her ever again?"
"I didn't mean that. I just want you to not worry about anything."
"I won't. Just get me out of here. I will soon stop worrying."
"You will. Keep the count going."

As Artee pulled the curtains sideways, she reached for the register. She fumbled as she found the pen. Her hands trembled. She paused.

"Are you still there doc?"

She couldn't gather words to reply. There was more than a pause. Yes, words fail to deliver sometimes. She realized this. She somehow mastered her courage.

"Yes, almost done. You rest. I'll take care of the rest."
"Take care doc. Bye."

She knew she needed to be honest. But she couldn't. She somehow failed to live up to the truth. The Hippocratic oath, she took a long ago lay in front of her eyes. Did she live up to that? Is this just the beginning of her tough journey in this profession. May be. May be not. Who knows? But she needed to be brave enough to live through such experiences.

"Goodbye, Aditya." She exclaimed, probably the final time. And she signed off in the register, one last time.

Comments

  1. MAN! Everything is gonna be alright. IRONY is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my god....this felt like scenes in front of my eyes..i can feel the pain in Aditya's voice morover the helplessness of the doctor who knows that Aditya won't be alive to meet his lady love but she can't say that to him..what a beautiful thought...the way it was penned down..we as readers can feel the pain of it...very good..waiting for the next💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and engaging! Kudos Babu! 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see the scene , like watching through the window glass... Good work bro

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts