2012


It was the 21st of December, 2012. Familiar with the year? Ok, I along with my six undisputed friends had gone to our coaching classes. The tension of our upcoming competitive exams erased our fears of this “world famous” date: 21st December, 2012; more precisely replaced the fear. We all seemed worried only about the non-cracked and unsolved sums which lay in front of us. Suddenly there was a tremendous, loud cracking noise. We were jeopardized for a second or so, but with the assurance of our Physics teacher, Rafiq sir, that it was the sound of lightning and thunder outside, we were back to our sums. But some of the scientific heads (excluding mine) still expressed fears because the month was December and it was quite “unnatural” for the clouds to burst out at this time of the year. 
"Seems, it’s our last day on earth, remember its 21st today. Well let me know if you people have any last wishes???" whispered Aryan, the romantic heartthrob, who seemed quite excited about the idea of “death. 

We all looked at each other, puzzled. 
"I am not so lucky to die at this 'small' age. There are many more struggles and hardships for me to face in my life", uttered Mriganov, another heartthrob but with full of sentimental feelings.

Amrit, with his quick and witty thinking touched Mriganov’s feet and praised his 'full- of- feelings' statement (although jokingly).This silly act was followed by another loud and crackling noise and as expected heavy rain followed. One more expected thing happened; the electricity had gone off, which interrupted our class. The inverter too had broken down. Glass panes of some of the windows broke off due to the wind and the glass pieces got scattered in the room. It was pitch dark inside. 

Sunderlal, one of our friends, broke the silence, "Is it the beginning of the end?!!" 

"This is a usual scenario in Assam. It is common for electricity to go off" replied Amrit. 

One of the caretakers of the institute entered the room with a torch and shouted, 

"Something’s wrong!". 

Everyone started panicking and started to move out of the room with the help of the light from their cell-phones. Sanjeevan and Aryan started calling their "non-boy" friends from their cell-phones and enquired if they were safe at their respective destinations. I, Amrit, Mriganov and Vedanta took to each others hands and started to make our way out of the room. At this instant, we heard a voice shouting at the top of his voice "MY FATHER IS A POLICE……MY FATHER IS A POLICE………..!!",to make his way out of the small crowd. As it was dark, no one saw his face. But we obviously recognized that sparkling voice (as for the readers, you will get the clue at the end of this experience). Mriganov started to express his feelings;

"This happens only to me. I am an unlucky boy!!", as if he was only one facing the situation and we were flying freely out of the situation. 

"Shut up!!Mr. Senti", replied Amrit.

The main door was not opening. Rafiq sir tried to open it, but it was beyond his strength .Vedanta remained silent nor could we hear Amrit’s witty lines. Terror was in everybody’s eyes and mind. I tried to pinch myself hoping to wake up from another one of my terrorizing dreams. But, nothing of that sort struck my luck. Rather, it started to rain more heavily, this time with double the "power". Luckily, the main door opened and all of us started our 'journey' towards the exit. What we saw outside had become quite 'usual' during recent times in Guwahati. There was water everywhere (but not a drop to drink), up to knee-height. We were experiencing a horrible scene in front of our 'scary' eyes. We all began to gather ideas about how we all will reach home. I, on the other hand took advantage of the situation and began to shower my knowledge on 'dirty water' to some of the cute and helpless girls. I started advising them on how to stay free from the bacteria and virus, which were circulating the whole flood water. After almost a 10-minute lecture (which seemed almost 10 years to them), my spider-sense advised my brain to stop the lecture or else get slaps from the girls. At that very moment, a white Mahindra Scorpio arrived at the gate, followed by a police jeep. Sunderlal stood on our way, proudly walking off as a few police personals had just long-jumped off from the vehicle to accompany him with an umbrella. Before he could say anything, I shouted," Yeah, we all know your father is a …!!!" He gave a darned and devilish look. Though I tried to impress everyone (including of course the non-boys), no one cared to laugh. In contrast to this situation, Sunderlal, by his generous behavior, offered some of us to go with him, and we readily agreed. Everyone entered (not exactly, everyone), and I was the last one to enter. As soon as I entered, a whole lot of water was splashed on to me and I heard a fading sound shouting at probably 19,999 Hz (for those of you who doesn’t know, our ears can hear sound ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz). Sigh!
"Only way  to pull you out of your sleepiness", shouted my mother.  I didn’t seem to care that my overnight clothes and my bed were in a helpless position with me, shivering in cold, still in a state of shock. And the next thing I saw in the calendar: it was 21st DECEMBER, 2012.        


Comments

Popular Posts