Blog of Justice: My Talking Points

Finally the much anticipated Justice League got released last Friday. There were so many mixed reactions about the movie. Some say it didn't live up to the hype as usual for a DC movie and a few others obviously complained as it didn't match it's Marvel counterparts. As a DC fan, I am pretty much happy with the overall movie although I wanted so much more, including runtime and the storyline.



For the past one year, I have been reeling over the thought of this movie very anxiously. The chance of seeing my favorite comic book characters together on the big screen was a very elated emotion for me. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg and the Aquaman coming all together was something which I had never dreamt of. A first day show was on my priority list after the movie was released last week. Here are my talking points about the movie:

1. The DCEU logo: This is something which I had noticed during the Wonder Woman movie. This shows a notable amount of DC characters including The Green Lantern, Hawkman and Hawkwoman and Martian Manhunter among so many more. It would be onerous to pinpoint at each character from this animation but if Warner Bros go by this, then it is going to be a very thrilling time ahead for fans alike. So many potential Superheroes waiting to be unveiled in the DCEU certainly is entertaining news.



2. The Green Lantern Corps: It would have been entirely compelling if any ester eggs regarding the blue lantern or the red lantern corps were given out too. But at least it is great to know that the Green Lantern corps exist in this DCEU. The mention of Green Lantern by Steppenwolf in one of the trailers brought goosebumps within me, but it was sadly removed from the final cut of the movie. Also a Green Lantern is shown in the movie during the united fight against Steppenwolf some thousands of years ago, which suggests the existence of the Green Lantern corps and a potential appearance in one of the future DC movies.



3. The Superman Resurrection: I was expecting something more intense at that moment. Superman being brought back to life seemed quite effortless as shown in the movie. Guessing by the vision of Zack Synder in his previous movies, I sincerely think he would have filmed this in an entirely different manner. But this scene definitely gave goosebumps to fans alike. I was also expecting something even darker once Superman was back to life but it was very much short-lived thanks to the arrival of Louis Lane. Such love!



4. Atlantis: The kingdom of Atlantis appear in the movie and this got me really excited. One of the powerful characters in the DCEU, Princess Mera's appearance particularly was overwhelming, played by the ever beautiful Amber Heard. Jason Momoa brings out a complete badass of an Aquaman, different from the comics! Some scenes showcasing Atlantis and its people were reportedly cut away but I am hoping this kingdom would get the required attention in the next DC movie, The Aquaman. Fingers crossed!



5. Too many deleted scenes: The Justice League trailers showed a hell lot of scenes and actions which weren't present in the final cut of the movie. This got me pretty much disappointed. I don't know if it was Josh Whedon's idea or Warner Bros, but it was a relatively poor idea to cut the film to under two hours. Apparently, a hologram of Supergirl and Willem Defoe's portrayal of Vulko were a couple of the major scenes missing from the movie. Overall, it didn't hamper much. A good watch, to say the least.



6. Post Credit Scenes: Post Credit scenes always get me literally high. There are two post credit scenes in the movie. The first scene, a light hearted one showing Superman and Barry about to race would get comic book fans extremely high. Read here to know what happens when they race a few times in the comics. It brought out a smile on my face! The second one got audience to an extreme round of cheering. Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke arrives at Lex Luthor's yact and apparently Lex is planning a league of their own. This is very very exciting, keeping in mind future DC movies. I hope they plan some script real quick.



Overall, it was a great watch. I watched it twice. Got me excited both the times. I would always maintain that it would have been much better if they hadn't ordered so many cuts. But now I am waiting for the director's Ultimate Edition of the movie online, like the one they released for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Honestly speaking, if you compare both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DCEU, Marvel is way ahead on the basis of their movies. Also, in terms of the tone of their movies, both the Universe are different and shouldn't be compared. Even Warner Bros shouldn't expect DC to be similar to Marvel. Too many jokes in this movie including a few by Batman wasn't entirely the tone of a DC movie. But DC has a long way to go and as a fan, I am hoping for more. Cheers! 

p.s: One piece of advice. If you are planning to watch the movie, never go for the local theatres. They pull down the curtains long before the second post credit scenes show up. What a mess they create!

Comments

Popular Posts