The Unemployed Engineer!

The past two months has been quite a revelation ride for me. A couple of months back, college life got over with the last viva and project presentation of our engineering life, and since then, only reality has not decided to sink in!

Life has taken quite a turn since then. If on one hand, there was a relief from that worthless Gauhati University and its pretentious rules and ways of working; on the other, lay the unexpected trajectories of pre-unemployment days. Even though I got placed, I decided not to accept the offer letter. Few congratulated me for my placement in the IT company while a few others offered condolences for rejecting the same. Some people even showcased an obnoxious array of advisable words citing the advantages, which included paychecks and an incompetent job-experience, had I joined the workforce instead of still being a student, preparing for a substantial amount of exams in the future. However quixotic my reasons were, those weren’t influenced by anybody. Nor was I interested in settling down in a state ruled by Didi, where MLAs are busy judging whether the word 'West' should be still used in front of Bengal. Well, I still got my life!

But why does the society even bother to decide whether I should continue higher studies or sit in front of a desk from 9 am to 5 pm? Advises are welcome but a dictatorship form of advisories where you are merely a scapegoat is not at all desirable!




I have encountered almost a million “What’s next after engineering?” questions, and also answered quite an appreciable amount of them too (with explanations, worthy of getting placed in answer scripts). In our country, it's most authentically a general trend that every student follows, which is why people tend to ask such questions. But never ever have people posed the question as "What do you want to achieve after engineering?" or "Where do you want to see yourself after engineering?" 


I have always been a kind of person who was never ever influenced by others’ negative opinions, not even those of the unfriendly neighborhood aunties. I have already been facing flakes for not starting preparations for an entrance exam, which each engineer is supposed to clear if he or she has any dream of pursuing Masters from an IIT, NIT or any other good Central University. Even most PSUs require an engineer to clear GATE, that evil exam which every engineer loathes, but still end up attempting to clear it at least 3 times . A hindrance too many for all the engineers out there!

Definitely, I did have plans earlier which dwindled all the way through. Living in the present and savoring the astonishing amount of time off studies has been paramount. But surviving as a fugitive undercover agent for the past one month has further sprung about endless possibilities about life. Right from the day I started my school days as a toddler to that final day in college, never have I been this philosophical about my own soul. As they say, engineers are the toughest human-creatures out in the open, and are probably the most lethal ones. People would often become sympathetic about me for being a useless personage for the last 60 days or so, but they have forgotten an engineer’s unofficial motto, 
“What is dead, may never die!” 

Comments

Popular Posts