Assembly elections 2016: My experience


It was time for elections once again. The Assembly elections were already creating much buzz around this Bihu season. Political parties had already made life too unbearable with those intolerable ads all over, whether it is newspapers or road hoardings or youtube videos buffering at 1 Megabyte per second!. Political awareness and campaigns took to an altogether new level.


The morning of the elections came. Like always I woke up late. Getting ready quite sluggishly, I finally reached the polling booth, a primary L.P school. What I saw there increased my fear of people to almost infinity. The amount of people gathered in the polling booth looked as if half of the population of Guwahati was present there. Days like these make you aware of the actual population of our country. As like last elections, there were queues of people already standing under the spring sun and I stood in the one designated for my area code. Some people were boasting that they were standing in the queues since 6:30-7:00 A.M. It destroyed my self-confidence as I went to cast my vote after about 2 hours late than those big-talkers. One hour passed since my arrival. The sun had already increased its power output. I was getting boiled there. If you have ever seen me sweat, then you can imagine the sweat my body perspired after one hour under the sun. I literally looked like I bathed with my clothes on. Every single person present in the booth was gazing at me like I was a Victoria Secret model ready to be pounced upon any time. Keeping my self-confidence intact, I continued my slow journey towards the booth room. The heat was too unbearable for everyone out there. Still, people came out in large numbers, which was a good sign for democracy but not for me. People were seen fanning themselves with their handkerchiefs or whatever they could find. Few girls and even some grown-up persons were clicking selfies. Old people were provided with benches to rest their body upon. Women and a few girls were holding umbrellas to obviously protect their fairness. Some grown up gentlemen were frowning upon their jobs and were sharing the delight of the holiday due to the election-day. I was up to nothing except observing their curious actions. The sun and I were already having a constant war going on. The sight of a few beautiful and extremely elegant girls were what kept me going. Finally, the turn to cast upon my vote came. Have you ever had the opportunity to know that the person you have a crush on, also loves you secretly? Or have you ever had the feel when your cell-phone goes crashing on the floor and still the screen remains intact?
Yes, that was the same feeling I had once my chance came after some two and a half hours under the sun. With a lifetime supply of Vitamin-D in my body, I entered the room like a boss. And then, I had to remind the election officer thrice about my presence inside the booth room. Maybe, the tan I received from the sun was way too much to handle for his eyes. Once, I was in front of the EVM, I had only one party symbol in my mind to cast my vote upon. I pressed the button and after the customary beep sound, I came out of the room, now gazing upon the other people feeling pity for the innocent souls. Let the sun have mercy on them. With a relieved mind and the feel of being a VIP, once again, I waved a goodbye to my battleground, which I will not encounter until the next elections. Such is the feeling!
Pity, I did not click a single selfie. Facebook and Instagram were flowing with selfies of people smiling relentlessly, showing their inked finger. It was as if they would be accused of being Bangladeshis if they did not upload them. Pity them too!
Hail Indian politics!
Hail Indian people!

Comments

  1. Hail ankit mahanta...
    Hail BJP... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria's secret model eh ? :D :D
    Y the mad rush for voting so early.. :p i waited for 1 min that too for my father. Aftrnoon voter :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts