An Open Letter to Laishram Sarita Devi

Before proceeding further, let me first assert the fact that I feel extremely proud to be from a country, which is represented by sportspersons like you. And I am thoroughly honored to be writing this open letter to you.



I just want to say that I was one of the many viewers to have watched your semi-final bout against that Korean opponent and I was equally pumping my fists in the air matching your thunderous blows to your opponent. I am an ardent sports enthusiast and every such sport enhances the adrenaline rush through my body, and hence, I was so proud and thrilled to watch you overpower your young Korean opponent. But alas, I was shocked and horrified like the rest of the countrymen, on seeing the result of the bout (read here). I was literally swearing to the Korean officials in my mind because, even though I don’t know much about the rules of boxing, you were the clear winner by miles. And yet, those officials shamelessly decided to award their native boxer against you, the deserving winner. It felt like a daylight robbery and in the process, I witnessed an open cheating in front of my eyes. Sad enough.



Now, coming back to the situation, I was very sad to see such a foul result in such a big event. And when I saw that medal ceremony on news, where you couldn’t control your emotions, I was equally moved by your gesture of not accepting the medal (watch here), with tears flowing down through your eyes, as a sign of protest. I felt you did the correct thing in not accepting the medal as the organizers and the officials would be reminded of their grave mistake. Afterwards, it was again an equally appreciable act of you, accepting the medal, as that medal would obviously be an added increase to the medal tally of our country. This Asian Games has surely increased my respect towards you, both as a sportsperson and as a human. Though you deserve more than that medal, I want you to focus on the things ahead, and not remind yourself of that past incident. Medal or no medal, I, along with all the Indians are extremely proud of you and your dedication towards boxing, in which you are so excellent and successful. I have read a short column about you in an English daily, where you said that your one-year old son doesn’t even recognize you, as you devote maximum of your time to training and practicing. It was indeed sad to read that, but I feel honorable that irrespective of that, you have been working so hard and tirelessly despite so many hurdles along your way to glory. Being a mother and still relentlessly representing the nation in such glorious events, I feel that your son would be extremely proud of his mother, the day he gets to know about the facts of life. This incident in the Asian Games shouldn’t deter your determination and I assure you, that each and every Indian is with you. We have been following all the events in the Asian Games, and are extremely delighted seeing the performances of the sportspersons in the event. All of you, the athletes playing for the Indian flag have brought so many laurels for the country that I have been having so many attacks of goosebumps, watching all of you, standing on the podium and wearing that medal for India. I hope that such glorious moments continue to come and I believe that one day, in the near future we would be at the top of the medal tally. Keep hoping and keep believing. Proud of you.

Comments

Popular Posts